Friday, March 4, 2011

3/4/11 - Reflections

There were no assigned readings for this week, just lots of opportunities to experience the different joys that come from teaching! First, we had an experience in class to teach our "first lesson" on an instrument of our own choosing. I chose the clarinet because I am also in the Clarinet Methods class this semester, and I wanted an opportunity to teach someone a formal lesson on it. This experience had some positive moments, and some unexpected ones. I succeeded in that I was able to get through the lesson with my student knowing how to assemble the clarinet, put the reed on the mouthpiece correctly with the ligature, and get a fundamental tone. If I had a chance to go back and do it again, I think I would teach the concept of embouchure better. I like the analogy that I used, but because I feared that time was running out I think I sped over this important facet of playing in order to get to playing. I'm not happy with this aspect of my teaching because embouchure formation is one of the most important things an instrumentalist can do, and it is important to get it right the first time. The psycho-motor skills develop quick connections in the brain, and a student will play like his teacher says.

A couple of days later we had the great opportunity to teach 5th grade students in instrumental music at a local grade school. This experience proved to be extremely positive and enjoyable. I was happy that I was able to memorize my lesson plan so I could be the most effective while teaching. Instead of focusing on each "step" I was able to envision the lesson as one complete whole. This helped me get from my teaching objectives to the teaching outcomes quite easily. I was able to walk around the room and informally assess the students as I gave directions. Most of the students were able to count and play with a basic level of proficiency. Of course there were some students who could play better than others, but this is to be expected at such an early level. Overall I thought the class did excellent in their preparation and performance. I expected to have a much harder time than I did. The students were respectful, and for that I was very grateful. I look forward to going back there in two weeks and teaching them again.

1 comment:

  1. Rick-

    I'm glad you had such a positive experience teaching. Beginners are a great deal of fun and being with them as they move through the first stages of playing can be very rewarding.

    tk

    ReplyDelete