Friday, April 1, 2011

4/1/11 - Reflections

I probably learned the most this week from the readings and from class participation. Tammy gave an EXCELLENT presentation on Monday about an area that I'm kind of clueless about - Communication within the Band Department and throughout the administration. There is so much a band director has to do behind the scenes. If I think about it long and hard enough, it is scary. I think to myself, "I know how to teach music, but I have absolutely no experience in dealing with the day-to-day aspect of being an instrumental music educator." I'm confident that I will be able to do a good job, but I'm always worried that there is something I might forget. I know there is a good chance my first job won't be the head band director of a program, but I still worry that there is a chance that I'll be put into a situation where I'll be a little clueless. First of all, there is so much to think about and do, especially the first year you inherit a program. Is there time to do everything? Probably not. I'm a very detail-oriented person who likes things in a certain order and projects to be handled a certain way. I will have to learn fast how to delegate responsibilities to others, and learn to be happy with the results (knowing that I can come back and change it later if I want). But sometimes the "organizational" and "communication" part of being a band director scares me. Where do I even begin? And how do I do it? These are questions that sometimes keep me up at night!

Chapters 17 and 19 in the book discussed communication and preparing for and executing a concert. Tammy's in-class presentation also hit on these topics, and they brought up a lot of questions. Especially with the economy being what it is right now, I feel like I will be put into a position where I will want to work 80+ hours a week just to ensure that things are running at least on par. I have a certain integrity to want to do things right, and get them done the best way the first time. But will this be possible, especially in my first couple of years? I have a wife, and she is the most important thing to me in my life. Even though my career is my living, my wife is my life. I will want to balance my job so I get to spend quality time with her. This may mean sacrificing some things that I would really like to do, such as organizing every little thing in my office and band room. I think the best thing I can do is learn from those who have gone before me. I need to ask them for advice, and learn certain tricks of the trade to accomplish things that I would otherwise have no idea how to do. At least I have many friends who are band directors. I have to thank Dr. Ciepluch for this, as The Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony has been a terrific environment for me to meet others in the profession. I'm now friends with directors and former directors from all over northeast Ohio. I will look to many of them as leaders when I take my first job.

1 comment:

  1. You will not be alone in your first job. There will be other teachers in the building ready to help you with any questions you may have. The district may provide a mentor for first year teachers who will also be on hand. While there is a boatload of things to think about, know that it cannot all be done in the first year. Your version of "at par" may be very different than what was established before you arrived. Too much change too quickly can also be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete