Friday, April 22, 2011

4/22/11 - Reflections

The readings and discussions for this week were based on classroom management, and how to implement the national standards into instrumental music education. I appreciated the time we spent in class going over the readings and having a power point presentation on a subject like classroom management. I liked how Dr. Bauer divided classroom management into two parts: 1. Curricular elements and 2. Procedural elements. This helped me to concentrate on which each part meant. There is so much to being an instrumental music teacher, that sometimes it scares me thinking about everything I'll have to do! Just being around Dr. Ciepluch for the past two years, and helping him with his Case ensembles and his Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony groups has made aware of all the "behind-the-scenes" work you have to do to in order to have a successful program. Here at Case, I've learned the most about the different facets of curricular classroom management from my classes, particularly from instrumental methods and from Dr. Ciepluch's seminars on conducting and repertoire. I think I've learned the most about procedural classroom management from my graduate hours. They say that nothing can compensate for experience, and this is why I've benefited so much from working in addition to taking classes. After awhile, setting up for an 80 piece band doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. Neither does all the paperwork that comes with running an ensemble. I know I have a lot to learn from my time in the schools, but I think Case has given me a great head start.

It has been a lot of fun talking about ways that instrumental music instructors can apply the 9 national standards into the classroom. At the end of the day, I have discovered that it isn't all that hard! Of course, my ideas are all simply hypothetical now, I'm sure as a real band director it won't be as easy as I think it will be. But having said this, there really are so many easy opportunities to introduce all nine standards into instrumental music education. While this is true, I really like one of the things that Dr. Bauer said. To paraphrase him, he said that we shouldn't try to "force" a standard onto a certain exercise or activity if it really doesn't fit. This was music to my ears! Sometimes as students and teachers, it can seem like we are trying to put square pegs into round holes, and this really doesn't do any good for anyone. Sometimes I have felt the requirement in certain assignments to get as many standards as I possibly could into a lesson plan or curricular unit. I'm so glad to learn that the world doesn't work this way, and neither should I. As music educators, we need to develop and design lesson plans and curricular units that focus specifically on one or two standards. There may be elements of others that are included in our activities, but it should remain our focus to concentrate on one or two at a time. Otherwise it would be like trying to teach algebra, calculus, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics in the same lesson! No one learns anything!

It has been fun to blog about the readings and class discussions this semester. This is a nice place for me to safely express my honest feelings, ideas, concerns, and opinions. It also gives me another opportunity to learn to write about music education. I also think it is beneficial for you to read them. I'm happy that you care enough about what I think to take the time to go through my blogs every week and come up with thoughtful and educational responses. Thank You. Please know that I value your feedback, and look forward to being the best educator I can be!

1 comment:

  1. Continue to keep your mind open to new ideas and be observant of teaching styles from many different people. It's not all about the behind-the-scenes work or about podium time. Attention must be given to student learning styles, curriculum and resources, and effective teaching methods.

    ReplyDelete